Adults Under 40


An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system. Allergic reactions occur when a person's immune system reacts to normally harmless substances in the environment. A substance that causes a reaction is called an allergen. These reactions are acquired, predictable, and rapid. Allergy is one of four forms of hypersensitivity and is formally called type I (or immediate) hypersensitivity. Allergic reactions are distinctive because of excessive activation of certain white blood cells called mast cells and basophils by a type of antibody called Immunoglobulin E (IgE). This reaction results in an inflammatory response which can range from uncomfortable to dangerous.

Allergies can play a major role in conditions such as asthma. In some people, severe allergies to environmental or dietary allergens or to medication may result in life- threatening reactions called anaphylaxis.

Allergenic dental materials

  • Acrylic resin
  • Composite Resin
  • Impression materials
  • Eugenol-containing products
  • Metals like
  • Amalgam
  • Gold
  • Nickel
  • Medications
  • Latex gloves

When exposed to latex proteins, a latex- sensitive individual may experience minor symptoms, such as hives or nasal congestion. Severe cases may result in anaphylaxis. This is a dangerous reaction that causes a drop in blood pressure; difficulty breathing; swelling of the throat, tongue and nose; and even loss of consciousness. It could be life- threatening if unattended. Emergency medical attention is needed at the first sign of anaphylactic reaction.

If you have had a prior allergic reaction to latex-containing objects, or any other known allergy to medication or materials,inform your dentist. Your dentist can confirm the allergy, and determine the best strategy for dealing with it.

The IDA recommends that prior to seeing your dentist, update your medical history with the dental office. Your dentist his and his staff will take the appropriate precautions for your next dental visit.